Dr Allan ThomasMB BS 1994 Trinidad Tobago; FRCR 2001; CCST (Clinical Radiology) 2003 UK
Practising atSouthern Cross Hamilton Hospital
Allan Thomas -- Interventional Neuroradiologist
5 Thackeray Street
(07) 957 4924
(07) 957 4925
Special Clinical Interest(s)
- Interventional treatment of vascular Diseases of the Brain, Spinal Cord and its coverings including management of intracranial aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations in adults and children.
- Mechanical thrombectomy for acute ischaemic stroke and stroke prophylaxis with intracranial and extracranial carotid stenting.
- Dural venous sinus thrombectomy for thrombosis.
- Venous sinus stenting for idiopathic intracranial hypertension.
- Interventional Pain Management in the Spine with nerve root injections, vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty.
- Pre-operative embolization and chemo-embolization of Brain and Spinal Cord Tumours, Skull Base, Soft Tissue Neck and Temporal Bone Tumours in adults and children.
- Diagnostic Neuroradiology and Head & Neck Radiology
- Multi-modality MRI of the brain and spinal cord for neuro-oncology and stroke
- Degenerative Diseases of the Spine and Spinal Cord
Dr Allan Thomas is a Consultant Interventional Neuroradiologist (a radiologist specialized in disorders of the brain, spine as well as the Head & neck). He was born in Trinidad and Tobago and graduated from St Mary’s College. He went on to obtain his medical degree and specialist DM in Radiology from the University of the West Indies. He spent the final year of his DM training in the United Kingdom where he pursued an in depth exposure to Neuroradiology.
He obtained his Fellowship of the Royal College of Radiology (FRCR) in the United Kingdom in 2001 and went on to do Fellowship training in cross sectional neuroradiology, Head & Neck Radiology as well as Interventional Neuroradiology in London and Nottingham. He has since held Consultant Interventional Neuroradiology posts in Nottingham and Birmingham in the UK continuously from 2003 to 2019 before accepting a new post in Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand since August 2019.
Dr Thomas has a tremendous wealth of experience in neuro-oncology, neurovascular, diagnostic and interventional services as well as ENT & skull base imaging . He is a highly regarded proctor for novel interventional neuroradiology devices supervising physicians throughout North and South America as well as Europe. He is a neuroradiology tutor having instructed many physicians in the UK who have gone on to head their local neurointervention services. He has participated in numerous cancer, spinal intervention and stroke intervention trials. He has co-authored articles in his field in JNIS, AJNR and British Journal of Neurosurgery.
Post Fellowship Training
Medical Proctor and Physician Trainer for Sequent Medical and Microvention for WEB technology and the use of PHIL liquid embolic since 2013 with over 100 proctored cases and case approvals for the WEB device for the treatment of intracranial aneurysms.
- February 1994 MB.BS University of the West Indies (UWI), Mona Jamaica
- November 2001 Doctor of Medicine (Radiology), UWI, Mona, Jamaica
- November 2001 FRCR, London
- CCST Date: 4th May 2003
- May 2003 Member of United Kingdom Neurointerventional Group (UKNG)
- December 2004 International Masters (MSc) in Neurovascular Diseases, Université Paris Sud-Faculté de Médecine de Bicêtre and Mahidol University, Thailand
- May 2019 Educational Affiliate RANZCR
- Medical Council New Zealand Number: 82054
- General Medical Council Number: 4260002 (registered 19.12.95; revalidated 11.5.2014 & 13.2.2019)
Visiting hours: 11am - 8pm
21 Von Tempsky St, Hamilton 3216
P.O. Box 4173, Hamilton 3247
Phone: 07 959 5700
Fax: 07 959 5702